St Barnabas, Boughton
St Barnabas Parish Centre is in the centre of Boughton village. Its postcode is ME13 9AP
St Barnabas Church was built through public subscription, to take the place of a mission room in one of the former stables of the “George” pub, set up in 1871 whilst the medieval parish church was being ”modernised”. The mission room proved popular, but the need for a more commodious place of worship was evident, and in 1893, the Vicar reported that he had been agreeably surprised to receive an offer from Miss Briscoe of a site for a new Mission Room; he hoped that “the liberality of parishioners and other friends will enable this great and long-felt want to be adequately supplied.”
An appeal was launched in December 1893, and made good progress. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Dover during a very grand service attended by all the local V.I.P's in June 1896. Part of the front wall was removed in 1921 to make way for the War Memorial. A room behind the church was built in 1902, which survived until the 1990’s, when toilets were added to the church, and the interior adapted for more general use.
Today, this is still a popular venue, and it operates as the daughter church to the parish church of St Peter & St Paul at South Street. As well as a wide range of church activities, it is also used regularly by the wider village community.
For many years, we had wanted to ease access to the building, which was problematic to the disabled and elderly, and also made it difficult for parents with prams.
Now, and thanks to initial funding from a bequest from the late Mrs Connie Eve,and a very generous grant from Viridor, we have improved access, making it possible for those with disabilities to get to a building from which they have effectively been excluded for too long, as well as making it easier for parents with young children - Mrs Eve was herself one of those unable to come into the building. With an increasingly ageing village community, we have found many others equally excluded. Heating and the sound system have been improved, and new toilets and new kitchen have been installed, making it an ideal venue for our Messy Church.